As summer comes to a close, we wanted to highlight Adam Kensinger, who joined our R&D team as a summer intern. Find out about his experience at Jackson ImmunoResearch, the leading manufacturer of secondary antibodies.
Tell us a little about yourself:
I am a rising senior at Juniata College studying biochemistry. At school, I do metal coordination chemistry research. When I’m not in the lab, I like to hike, listen to music, and play chess.
How did you spend your time in the lab?
During my internship, I was responsible for helping lab technicians complete various assays such as Western Blots, Coomassie stains, ELISAs, and Biuret tests to develop future products for Jackson ImmunoResearch. For the ELISA assays, I was trained to use a robotic pipette machine.
Most valuable learning experience?
The most valuable learning experience for me was simply being a part of a professional laboratory environment. This was my first internship or job related to biochemistry. I got to experience how the company operates and I worked with several laboratory technicians who took time to train me well.
One thing you learned that was not taught in the classroom?
I learned that having lab partners is invaluable because having someone else check your work can be a lifesaver when working with many samples.
What surprised you most about your internship experience?
I was surprised by how much the day to day work of the Product Development department changes. They work on several projects at once, requiring knowledge of many techniques.
After I finish my senior year at Juniata College, I plan to enter a biology or biochemistry graduate program and eventually earn a PhD. I would like to have an industry career in a biotechnology research lab.
|Learn more:||Do more:|
|Multiple labeling using Secondary Antibodies||Apply for 2019 Travel grant|
|Direct and Indirect Western blotting||Light Chain Specific Secondary Antibodies|
|Choosing your Secondary Antibody||Western blot troubleshooting guide|
- Download PDF Serological tests enable disease surveillance from initial infection through to the development of immunity against infectious diseases. The power of serological testing comes from the specific detection of …Read More »
- Download PDF Western blotting is a technique used to confirm the presence of target proteins and peptides from complex mixtures. Proteins are separated by size using PAGE, transferred to a …Read More »
- Download PDF Congratulations to the recipient of Jackson ImmunoResearch’s €1000 travel grant for SfN2019! Jackson ImmunoResearch offers travel funding to support researchers attending academic meetings and conferences. JIR invited applications …Read More »
- Download PDF Congratulations to the recipient of Jackson ImmunoResearch’s $1,000 travel grant for NSH 2019! Jackson ImmunoResearch is happy to offer travel funding to support researchers attending academic meetings and …Read More »
- Download PDF Antibodies are invaluable to scientific research, diagnostics, and therapeutics. These simple yet powerful scientific tools find their way into a diverse range of fields and applications. Primary antibodies …Read More »